Born: 29th June, 1956, Dehradun, India.
ART EDUCATION / Awards:
1972-79 – B.A. (Fine) Painting & M.A. (Fine) Creative Painting , M.S. University, Baroda (Merit Scholarship holder at the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda 1972-79)
1987 – Cultural Scholar, State Lalit Kala Academy, Uttar Pradesh, Lucknow.
1980 – National Scholar, Ministry of Education and Culture.
1985-87 – Japanese Government (Monbusho) Scholarship.
1994 – Japanese Government Research Fellowship under sponsorship from Directorate of Training and Technical Education, Govt. of N.C.T. of Delhi.
1997 – Senior Fellowship, Ministry of H.R.D., Dept. of Culture, Govt. of India.
1999 – Sahitya Kala Parishad Award in Painting.
2000 – National Lalit Kala Akademi Award in Painting.
ONE MAN AND GROUP EXHIBITIONS/PARTICIPATIONS:
2009 – ’Collective Intent IV’ Presented by Gallerie Alternatives at Visual Arts Gallery, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi and Gallerie Alternatives, Gurgaon.
2008 – ’India Art Summit’ International Art Fair, New Delhi presented by Gallerie Alternatives
2007 – ’Collective Intent III’ Presented by Gallerie Alternatives at Visual Arts Gallery, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi and Gallerie Alternatives, Gurgaon.
2002 – Bose Pacia Gallery, New York
2001 – Kunst Aus Indien, Kunststation Kleinsassen, Germany
2001 – Artist Camp – Weaving Hand Attending I held at Jim Corbet National Park
2000 – National Exhibition of Art, Jaipur and New Delhi
2000 – Millennium Exhibition, Birla Akademi, Calcutta
2000 – Time & Space, Taj Est End, Bangalore
2000 – Juxtapose Son Et Lumiere Art Gallery, Mumbai
1999 – ‘Harmony Show’ 99, Mumbai organised by Reliance Industries Ltd.
1999 – ‘L’Amour 1999′, organised by Gallery Mirage, New Delhi.
1999 – ’Edge of the Century’, curated by Mr. Amit Mukhopadhyay, New Delhi.
1999 – ‘Art for Spastics’, a charity auction conducted by BONHAMAS of London at Taj Coromondel, Chennai.
1999 – ‘Creative Process’, an enquiry into the creative processes of 42 contemporary Indian Painters, curated by Dr. Shivaji K. Paniker. The Guild Art Gallery, Mumbai.
1998 – One Man Show – Titled “Vision of Reality”, sponsored by Gallery Art Heritage in Gallery-1 and Gallery-2, New Delhi.
1998 – ‘The Probing Eye’ – 38 insightful photographic impressions by nineteen distinguished painters and sculptors, Gallery Art Indus, New Delhi.
1998 – ‘A Tide of High Spirits’ – exhibition of works executed during the camp at Hans Coco Palms Puri, sponsored by Hotel Hans Plaza, New Delhi.
1998 – Exhibition of Works Executed during the Suraj Kund Art Work Shop at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
1998 – “FACE TO FACE”, The First Show of the Baroda Alumni Association, New Delhi.
1997 – Maneka Gandhi’s show : “DELHI IN DELHI”, Taj Palace Hotel, New Delhi.
1997 – “Pastels” Show Sponsored by Gallery “Art Motif”, New Delhi.
1997 – Opening exhibition of Swastika Art Gallery, New Delhi.
1997 – Anniversary exhibition of Uraswati Centre for Art, New Delhi.
1996 – 21 Artist’s show, All India Fine Arts and Crafts Society, New Delhi
1996 – Group Exhibition – “Pastels” sponsored by Gallery Art Motif, New Delhi
1996 – One man Show – Titled “Doors of Perception” sponsored by Gallery ART HERITAGE at Shridharani Gallery, Tansen Marg, New Delhi.
1996 – Group Exhibition, Delhi Art Gallery, New Delhi.
1996 – Group Exhibition, Sarva Tanjore, New Delhi.
1996 – Group Exhibition, Uraswati Centre for Art, New Delhi.
1996 – Exhibition on Gandhi organized by SEHMAT.
1995 – One man Show – Titled “Within and beyond” at Triveni Kala Sangam – New Delhi, an exhibition of works executed in Japan during the tenure of the Japanese Govt. Fellowship.
1995 – Participated and represented in the “VII Triennial India” as an Indian Participant.
1994 – Participated in “20 Artists Show”, AIFACS, New Delhi.
1994 – Participated in a Silk Screen Workshop organised by “Udyan Care” and represented in the Group Exhibition of the Workshop at AIFACS, New Delhi.
1990 – Group Exhibition Shridharani Gallery, New Delhi.
1987 – One man Show – at Setagaya Art Museum, Tokyo, an exhibition sponsored by a number of Indian Business Houses, in Japan.
1987 – Exhibition of Kyoto Shiritsu Geijutsu Diagaku, at Kyoto City Museum, Kyoto, Japan.
1986 – Exhibition of Kyoto Shiritsu Geijutsu Daigaku, at Kyoto University Gallery, Kyoto, Japan.
1980 – One man Show, sponsored and arranged by Urja Art Gallery, at M.S. University Gallery, Baroda.
1980 – One man Show, sponsored and arranged by Max Mueller Bhavan. (German Cultural Centre). Bombay. National Exhibition of Art 1980, 1982, 1983.
Participated in Gujarat Lalit Kala Academy, Annual Exhibition, Ahmedabad 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977 and 1978.
Participated in Birla Academy, Annual Exhibition. 1978.
Participated in All India Painting Exhibition U.P. State Lalit Kala Academy 1979, 1981. Bombay Art Society, 1980.
Participated in All India Fine Arts & Crafts Society. Exhibition, New Delhi-80. Attended All India Graphics Camp organised by the Lalit Kala Academy, New Delhi at Garhi Workshop, 1977.
Attended Fresco Training Camp for a period of TWO months organised by Banasthali Vidyapith, at Banasthali in 1976.
1998 – Artist Work Shop at Puri, Sponsored by Hotel Hans Plaza, New Delhi.
1998 – Invited to Coordinate and conduct an Exhibition of Japanese Prints and Contemporary works of art “SHARAKU” at the National Gallery of Modern Art, and Japan Foundation New Delhi.
1998 – Invited to Surajkund Artist’s Camp & Seminar as a panellist
1997 – Invited to coordinate and conduct a series of lectures for the 8th Triennale, India, New Delhi.
1997 – Invited as an expert to a Seminar on “ART EDUCATION AT PRIMARY LEVEL”, (N.C.E.R.T.)
1996 – “Freedom at Midnight” Uraswati Centre for Art & Hilton Hotel, New Delhi.
1996 – Invited Artists Camp on ‘Environment’ at Kasauli, sponsored by Uraswati Centre for Art, New Delhi
1992 – Member Board of Selection, Mass Communication Research Centre, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
1992 – Invited Opening Exhibition of Calcutta Art Foundation, Calcutta.
1992 – Invited Artists camp and workshop on Children’s Book Illustration, Genesis Art Gallery and Goodrick Tea Company. Calcutta.
1990 – Invited Bharat Bhawan Biennale, Bhopal.
1989 – Invited – Ist Biennale of Photography, Lalit Kala Academy, New Delhi.
1989 – Invited Artist’s Camp U.P. Lalit Kala Academy.
1994 – Invited Indo-German Print Making Camp, Lalit Kala Academy, New Delhi.
1982 – Invited Drawing Exhibition, Lalit Kala Academy, New Delhi.
– Worked towards a dissertation titled “Elements of Fantasy in Contemporary Indian Painting” a survey and analysis of 35 Contemporary Indian Painters working on Fantasy as their pictorial basis. A series of Articles abridged from the dissertation were published in the LINK MAGAZINE.
– Worked on a documentation project of Indian Miniatures including Kunwar Sangram Singh’s – Collection of Indian Miniatures with special reference to miniatures of the minor schools.
– Columnist on Art: LINK Magazine 1984-85.
– Writings on Art have appeared in Various Magazines in India.
– Lectured at KYOTO University, KYOTO. Title “Traditional Indian Art Forms – A Perspective’ along-with a slide show, 1987.
– Member, for formulating a new syllabus for Fine Arts for the CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education), New Delhi. 1988.
– Conducted a workshop on Design for Delhi University sponsored by Hindustan Times, New Delhi. 1989.
– ‘Commissioner’ for an exhibition of Indian Miniatures for the C.M.C. (Computer Maintenance Corporation), New Delhi, Titled ” Impact of Western Academicism and Photography on the Miniature Paintings of Rajasthan”. 1992.
– Participated and invited to many All India Workshops and Seminars on Art Education including National Council for Educational Research and Training (N.C.E.R.T.). British Council etc.
– Formulated a new syllabus on Art, for the Karnataka Government, as a Consultant for EDCIL, (Educational Consultants India Limited), New Delhi, 1994.
– Delivered a series of lectures in Japan On Indian Art, at Kanazawa University of Fine Arts, Kanazawa, Japan; Organized by Japan-Indo Association of Ishikawa
– Prefecture in collaboration with Air India and Govt. Of India Tourist Office in Japan, at Kanazawa, Japan at the Embassy of India auditorium; Organized by Japan-Indo Association, Tokyo On miniature paintings for a group interested in Indian Miniatures called ” Students of Miniature Painting” at Mitsubishi Conference Room, Tokyo; At, Osaka University of Fine Arts, Osaka, Japan; At Saga University of Fine Arts, Kyoto, Japan; (just to name a few);
– Along with several informal lectures, discussions and talks with various Study Groups and Study Circles interested in Traditional Indian Art and Contemporary Indian Art.
-The theme of the Research Fellowship awarded by the Japanese Govt. Was “Confluence and Conflict between Traditionalism and Modernity in the context of Asian countries, striving towards a quest for identity”. The period of the fellowship was appropriately utilized in interacting with Artists, Scholars, Curators and Museums in Japan and a Research Paper on the theme has appeared in a book ‘Reflections’ brought out by the Directorate of Training and Technical Education, Govt. Of N.C.T. of Delhi.
– I have a Japanese scholar working under me enrolled at University of Osaka, and working on ‘Amravathi’.
– I am also guiding several Masters Course students for their dissertations as part of my academic responsibilities at the university.
– Conducted a workshop for the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, New Delhi, on Visual Communications.
– Coordinated a global research project in collaboration with Kanazawa College of Arts, Kanazawa, Japan, “The Making and Usages of Gold Leaf”
– Conducted a workshop in collaboration with Japan Cultural and Information Centre on Suibokuga along with several masters of the discipline from Japan.
-Was commissioned by Ministry of Defence, Govt. Of India, to Design Catalogues for the (a) Republic Day Celebrations. (b) Folk Dances of India. (c) Beating the Retreat, 1986.
– Assisted Mr. A. Ramachandran, on a mural Painting for Ashoka Hotel’s new Restaurant “Frontier”, during the Commmonwealth Heads of the Government’s Conference (CHOGAM) 1984.
– Commissioner for an exhibition of Miniature Paintings, “The Impact of Western Academicism and Photography on the Miniature Paintings of Rajasthan “Computer Maintenance Corporation, CMC, Art Gallery, New Delhi.
– A part of the visual documentation of the book “The art of a Muralist” on the eminent painter Mr. A. Ramachandran along with his other Catalogues, has been executed by me.
PAINTINGS IN THE COLLECTION OF:
– National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi.
– National, Lalit Kala Academy, New Delhi.
– Chandigarh Museum and Art Gallery, Chandigarh.
– Air India, Bombay.
– U.P. State Lalit Kala Academy, Lucknow.
– National Geophysical Research Laboratory, Hyderabad.
– Prof. Jim Fisher, University of York, Canada.
– Dr. Hozumi’s Collection (Internationally known collection of Japan).
– Late Khushbash Sherawat.
– Former Scientific Advisor of British Council, New Delhi.
– ITC, (Indian Tobacco Company), Calcutta.
– HUDCO India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
– Triennale Collection, Lalit Kala Academy. New Delhi.
– Vision Books Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi.
– Mr. Ebrahim Alkazi’s Collection.
– Ministry of External Affairs Collection, for Embassies, abroad.
– I.C.I.C.I. Bank New Delhi
– Along with many other private and personal collections in India and abroad.
– Director National Gallery Of Modern Arts, New Delhi
– Artist/Ex-Assistant Professor, Department of Painting (MFA) College of Art, 20-22, Tilak Marg, New Delhi.
– Ex-National Project Personnel (NPP) on U.N.D.P. assisted Multimedia Project “Strengthening of National Facility for Interactive Multimedia Documentation of Cultural Resources” of the country at Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, New Delhi.
– Guest Lecturer. Mass Communication Research Centre, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
– Ex-Guest Lecturer. Art Appreciation Course, National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi.
– Guest Lecturer. C.C.R.T., Bhawalpur House, New Delhi.
– Art Expert C.E.C. (Consortium of Educational Consultant), INSAT U.G.C. Cell, Country-wide classroom, on the National Television Network, New Delhi.
– Guest Lecturer – Maharishi Dayanand University, Rohtak.
– Ex-Member Board of Studies in Fine Arts, Maharaja Sayaji University of Baroda.
– Ex-Core Member “The Baroda Alumni Association New Delhi.
EXHIBITIONS CURATED AND COORDINATED:
– Dialogue : Interactions in Indian Art, From 1850 Onwards. July 2001 at National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi.
– The works of Bernard Moninot, a French Artist at the National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi. August 2001.
– Amrita Sher-Gil at the Ernst Museum, Budapest, Hungary, September – October, 2001.
– Picasso : Metamorphoses, 1900-1972, From the French Collections, National Museum, New Delhi December 2001-February 2002.
– Modern Women Hungarian Artists at National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi. December 2001